Sunday, September 22, 2013

Autumn Equinox .... Harvesting Time for the Soul

***This is a vulnerability warning label for this post.  “Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.”
Brené Brown


The last two days in Texas have felt like Fall especially this morning.  The weather is cooler.  It's just lovely!  Another sign of cooler weather is the college girls are wearing Uggs with shorts and drinking Pumpkin Spice Latte.  In Texas Fall is one of those seasons we can only attempt to be a part of by wearing Uggs, drinking Pumpkin Spice Latte, hanging Fall wreaths on our doors and love of high school and college football.  Most of the time we are doing this while it is still in the 90s outside and our air conditioners are running inside. 

As I have gotten older, it has become more important to me to reconnect with the cycles of the earth and moon.  In a world full of gadgets and tuning out, I keep trying to tune in.  Today is the Autumn Equinox.  Here's a prayer:

CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE, we praise you for this day, which marks the midpoint between the shortest and longest days of the year.  We celebrate the workings of the Earth and it's place in the solar system.  We recall the traditions of harvest festivals to thank you for providing food for the winter.  Help us to depend on you for our sustenance and enable us to live in harmony with the earth and all creation.  For we pray in the name of the Life-Giver.  Amen.   From She Who Prays: A Woman's Interfaith Prayer Book by Jane Richardson Jensen and Patricia Harris-Watkins 

Let's then talk about the "harvest".  These days most of don't have a garden to harvest to give us food for the winter.  Our local grocery store takes care of that for us.  But if we tune into our soul and are in rhythm with the seasons of the earth, we began something this past Spring Equinox.  We planted seeds.  Now we begin the harvest of those seeds planted.  A seed to me is a prayer.  Fall Equinox for me includes a home altar that has items that represent the Fall.  (It does not include Uggs or Pumpkin Spice Latte.)  Although it may be fake Fall leaves, it represents the Fall harvest.  Tune in and pray for a heart to help you discern what you may be harvesting this fall.  Hang a Fall wreath and dress your table or altar (or aren't they really the same?)  with fake fall leaves mixed with real pumpkins. 

My harvest includes being DEPENDENT on God.  "Help us to depend on you for our sustenance and enable us to live in harmony.."  That's the other piece of the Autumn Equinox is balance which is to me is harmony.  I recently came out of a co-dependent relationship with God.  I had been expecting God to rescue me and save me in self created drama...for the most part.  I bring this up because being "dependent" on God is very different I am learning then being co-dependent on God.  My biggest struggle has been managing my finances.  Praying for God to help me managing my finances and yet expecting some kind of miracle.  I think it was about me testing God to see if God really loved me, God would save me.  I want to say it started 13 years ago when I divorced, but it's actually been part of my life's journey.  I want to describe it as a struggle, but then I think of that word and it doesn't feel right either.  Is it a love/hate relationship with God and money?   God do you really love me?  Prove it.  But as I said in my previous post, God sent the boat and the helicopter and I just kept standing on my home while the water was rising saying "God save me if you love me."  I am learning to be dependent on God and each day I start with "Thank you, God."  

Dress the altar of your heart with God's grace and peace...add a few fake fall leaves and drink a little Pumpkin Spice Latte (or whatever represents Fall to you.)  May your heart's desire be harvested this Autumn Equinox.

   


  

No comments:

Post a Comment