Saturday, September 14, 2013

Time to dust off my shoes...

But whenever you enter a town and they do not welcome you,
go out into its streets and say, ‘Even the dust of your town

that clings to our feet, we wipe off in protest against you.
Yet know this: the kingdom of God has come near.’ 
– Luke 10.10-11
 
 
I recently came across this scripture passage in Jan Richardson's Painted Prayer book along with her narrative and a blessing titled "A Blessing in the Dust".  I encourage you to read it.  http://paintedprayerbook.com/ It has provided so much inspiration for me in my daily life especially given my recent situation at my day job.  I used to think giving up was not an option.  This day job was how I provided for my family and  I had to stick it out.  I had to do whatever was necessary to keep my day job.  Suck it up and keep working; even though you may be unhappy and even though you may be treated disrespectfully and even though there's a bully (or two).  I used a lot of excuses that related to God.  However, looking back, I am more like the guy who was standing on the roof of his house because of the floods and prayed God save me.  God sent a boat and a helicopter to save him, but the guy didn't get it because he was waiting for God to save him.  I can say this because I recently read through old journals.  My heart was sad after reading them.  My heart was sad because my cries and prayers and pleas to God were the same as today.  I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs "Get over it already!" or as Cher says in the movie Moonstruck "Snap out of it already!"  God has sent boats and helicopters and everything else already, quit whining and wipe the dust off and do something!  Submit the resume.  Send the email.  And snap out of it already!

 
 
From Jan Richard's blessing...
" I promise you
there is a blessing
in the leaving,
in the dust shed
from your shoes
as you walk toward home—
not the one you left
but the one that waits ahead,
the one that already
reaches out for you
in welcome, in gladness
for the gifts
that none but you
could bring "

 
Even Jesus knew when it was time to leave...time to dust off your feet and walk away and go home. 
God's peace and grace to you all. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment