Thursday, November 28, 2013

Advent: O Come O Come Emanuel

It seems almost every year Advent rolls around I think to myself .... It's Advent.  What am I going to do? I really love Advent. So now I am trying to think what do I love about Advent?  Let's start with the beginning...

1.  It's before Christmas. 
2.  Advent is about being comfortable in the dark. 
3.  Advent is about Mary and her pregnancy.
4.  Advent is the waiting period.
5.  Advent prepares the way for the baby Jesus. 

Maybe it's about being a Liturgical person.  I realize that I really don't know too much about Advent.  And what's funnier is I am not sure what I "love" about Advent.  So before I go and sign up for some Advent retreat on line or pick up some book filled about Advent-ish readings, I better realize and understand what Advent really does represent for me. 

Jan Richardson's Advent on-line retreat, she writes that Advent is a time of:  mystery, anticipation, rejoicing in the dark and heading towards the "Light".  This is good stuff here.  And perhaps a good place to start.  "Mystery" .... I am going to follow the wisdom of my dear friend and sit with "mystery" for a day or two to see what bubbles up. 

Blessings to you all as you each find your own Advent path. 









No comments:

Post a Comment